It seems puzzling but in fact, it’s rather simple. Step into your baby’s shoes - what happens when they throw something onto the floor?
- 1. They throw the object.
- 2. The object hits the floor and makes a funny sound.
- 3. The object rolls and bounces around.
- 4. You frantically try to retrieve the object.
- 5. You place the object back in front of your baby.
- 6. Repeat steps 1-5.
When your baby does this, they are learning about cause and effect, along with principles of gravity. Essentially, your baby is learning that when they throw the object, it falls down (instead of up) and causes a series of events to unfold. Namely, the funny sound, the rolling and bouncing, you picking it up, and doing it all over again. Your baby is just discovering their independence and is figuring out how their actions can have an impact on their environment. So, don’t worry, it’s not naughty behavior, it’s just learning!
If you want to stop your baby from doing this, here are some toys that can teach cause and effect without the fuss or the mess.